$3.5 MILLION SETTLEMENT - DEFECTIVE APARTMENT HEATER ASPHYXIATES STUDENT

After watching the Super Bowl on a cold January night, a University of California at Berkeley student was asphyxiated and became comatose when he was overcome by carbon monoxide from a faulty apartment heater in Oakland, California. The two front covers of the heater were defectively designed, allowing them to be easily reversed in placement which resulted in the release of deadly carbon monoxide. The student was the only child of parents who are able to care for their son with the funds obtained in the settlement.