A University of California Berkeley graduate watched the Super Bowl on television in his Oakland apartment with his roommate and his girlfriend. During the day and evening they experienced headaches and nausea. The roommate and his girlfriend left. When they returned the next day, they found their friend in bed with his eyes half open, and unresponsive. He was diagnosed with anoxic encephalopathy due to carbon monoxide poisoning. He remains in a persistent vegetative state. A married couple were recently found dead along with their two cats in a Berkeley, California fourplex. The cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a gas produced by incomplete combustion. It is colorless, tasteless and odorless to human senses. The density of carbon monoxide is less than that of air and it distributes rapidly within spaces such as apartments. At lower levels, symptoms include headache, malaise, fatigue, slowed mentation, confusion and other neurologic sequelae. When levels become sufficient, unconsciousness and death will occur.