Mr. Van Blois completed his undergraduate education at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. and worked in the U.S. Senate as a legislative assistant. He is a graduate of the University of California Law School at Berkeley, California (Boalt Hall), where he received his legal education.
Mr. Van Blois became Board Certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy in 1983 and as such is recognized by the California State Bar as a civil trial specialist. He has been recognized by the Consumer Attorneys of California (formerly called the California Trial Lawyers Association) as an experienced trial attorney in the fields of Products Liability, Professional Negligence, General Personal Injury, Public Entity Liability and Insurance Bad Faith law. He has received the honor of being the Alameda County Trial Lawyer of the Year. He has tried over 150 jury trials in California.
He is admitted to the State Bar of California and the Supreme Court of the United States of America. He has been President of the Alameda-Contra Costa County Trial Lawyers Association, is a member of the Consumer Attorneys of California; Alameda County and Contra Costa County Bar Associations; American Association for Justice (ATLA Stalwart), the Brain Injury Association and APITLAmerica Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America.
Mr. Van Blois has consistently received the "AV" rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the legal profession's directory for over 140 years. This peer review process measures two components of a lawyer's practice: Legal ability and professional ethics. The "A" signifies legal ability that is "Very high to preeminent." The "V" signifies professional ethics that "Adhere to the strict standards of the Bar." This rating is achieved by only 15% of the Bar nationwide, and is the highest possible rating.
Mr. Van Blois has been actively involved in improving the administration of justice in Alameda and Contra Costa counties. He was instrumental in establishing the Early Disposition Program (EDP) and the SETL Programs that have led to settlements of cases to help reduce court congestion. He has frequently lectured on trial practice and personal injury law and medicine.
For the seventh consecutive year, R. Lewis Van Blois has been selected by his peers as a top rated lawyer in San Francisco and Northern California. Mr. Van Blois has been selected by Super Lawyers in Northern California for 10 consecutive years, is selected again by Best Lawyers in America for legal work in plaintiffs personal injury, and product liability litigation and is included in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in the U.S. by the National Trial Lawyers.
Areas Of Practice
- Brain and Head Injuries
- Big Rig Truck Accidents
- Dangerous Roads/Government Liability
- Burn Injuries and Amputations
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Child Abuse and Child Injuries
- Paralysis and Spinal Injuries
- Wrongful Death
- U.S. Federal Courts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, California
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence
- George Washington University, Washington, District of Columbia
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts
Honors and Awards
- Preeminent AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell for Over 37 Years
- Best Lawyers in America
- Top Attorneys in Northern California for 7 Years
- Named to Super Lawyers for Ten Consecutive Years
- Alameda County Trial Lawyer of the Year
- Top 100 National Trial Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alameda-Contra Costa County Trial Lawyers Association, Member, Past President
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member, Past Board of Governors
- Alameda County Bar Association, Member
- Contra Costa County Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, ATLA Stalwart
- Brain Injury Association
- APITLAmerica, Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers