Taking Decisive Action For People Injured In Motor Vehicle Accidents
The days and weeks after a serious motor vehicle accident can be some of the hardest in a person’s life. Your biggest concern has to be making the fullest possible recovery from your injuries. Financial problems are a major concern as well. Your medical expenses could be astronomical. If you are unable to work, it may be very hard, if not impossible, to cover your living expenses.
After an accident, the lawyer you choose can make a huge impact on the way your case is resolved. We are the attorneys of Van Blois & Associates. With decades of cumulative experience and many millions of dollars in recoveries for our clients, we are a trusted resource in injury cases. Based in Oakland and Stockton, we fight for clients across the Bay Area, the Central Valley and northern California.
No Matter What Type Of Accident, We Can Help
Our team has a strong record of success helping people who have been severely injured in all types of accidents, including:
- Car accidents: Following a serious car crash, rely on us to provide a strong case in support of your damages.
- Motorcycle and bicycle accidents: Given the disparity in size, bicyclists and motorcyclists face the possibility of severe harm in an accident.
- Big rig accidents: When commercial trucks collide with other vehicles, the result is likely to be catastrophic.
- Pedestrian injuries: Severe injuries and death are caused when vehicles strike pedestrians.
- Airplane, boat, bus and train accidents: Whatever the form of transportation, if you have been injured, we have the experience and skill to help.
Whatever type of accident you were involved in, we have the experience and resources necessary to present a powerful case on your behalf.
Dangerous Roads And Government Liability
Governments are protected by immunities that allow them to avoid liability in many cases. However, it is possible in some cases to hold government entities responsible for injuries caused by the negligence of government workers and dangerous conditions, but doing so requires the help of a skilled attorney like those at our firm. We have won significant verdicts and settlements for dangerous conditions involving:
- Failure to install traffic signals
- Failure to install guardrails
- Inadequate shoulders
- Poles and objects next to roads
- Pavement edge drop off
- Overhanging trees and vegetation reducing visibility
- Improper banking of curves
- Faded centerlines and missing reflective markers
- Defective guardrails
- Inadequate sight distance
- Unsafe pedestrian crossings
- Insufficient warning signs
- Inadequate lighting
- Poorly designed merge lanes
- Potholes and uneven pavement
- Poor drainage and standing water on freeway
- Unsafe bus stop
- School district negligence
- Unsafe swimming and recreational facilities
We have achieved successful recoveries for our clients for dangerous roads in the State of California, the City and County of San Francisco, and numerous other counties.
An Aggressive, Strategic Approach To Helping People Injured In Auto Accidents
For over 40 years, we have helped motor vehicle accident victims receive funds to pay for medical expenses, lost income, disability, pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. We have the experience and resources to battle insurance companies and corporations to obtain a winning verdict or settlement for accident victims.
What Should You Do After A Car Accident?
The things you say and do in the immediate aftermath of a crash can significantly influence the outcome of your case. Here are some tips for what to do and what to avoid after a car accident:
- Tend to all wounded victims and call an ambulance, if necessary
- Move everyone out of the road and to a safe location
- Gather as much evidence as you can in the form of pictures and the contact information of any eyewitnesses
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other party or parties involved
- Avoid saying anything that suggests you were at fault or partially at fault. This can be sorted out later.
- Give factual statements to the officer on the scene for purposes of creating a police report, then seek a copy by contacting the police department
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident, but do not speculate about fault or agree to give an official statement until you’ve had a chance to speak to an attorney. Also, avoid discussing your injuries until you’ve been properly examined by a doctor.
When we agree to represent an automobile accident victim, we immediately begin an investigation to secure the accident vehicles, document the physical evidence and contact important witnesses. If you wait to retain an attorney, critical evidence may be lost, witnesses may not be found, vehicles may be crushed or repaired and physical evidence fades or vanishes. The insurance companies defending the at-fault driver often start an immediate investigation and can gain an advantage in the claims handling process. You should talk to an experienced accident attorney before making any statements to an insurance claims investigator.
How We Can Help You With Insurance Companies And The Claims Process
Insurance companies are not on your side – not even the company with whom you have a policy. Their goal is to maximize their profits by denying claims or settling as quickly and cheaply as possible. For this reason, you need to be very careful about what you say to insurers, and you should avoid making any big decisions (like accepting a settlement) until you speak to our attorneys.
When you hire our firm, we can take over all communications and negotiations with insurance companies (your insurer and the other driver’s insurer). We will ensure that you don’t accidentally say something that could hurt your case and that insurers can’t take advantage of you. A settlement may ultimately be in your best interests, but you can typically only negotiate a reasonable settlement with the help of a lawyer. If the insurance company won’t offer a reasonable settlement, we are not afraid to take your case to trial.
In addition to working toward a maximum net recovery for our clients, we continue to represent them after the case has settled to reduce or defeat medical liens or claims from health care providers who aggressively pursue reimbursement of the cost of medical treatment. Each year we successfully reduce medical lien claims for our clients.
Seeking Maximum Compensation For Catastrophic Injuries
Any type of motor vehicle accident can leave victims with catastrophic and life-changing injuries. This is especially likely in trucking accidents, pedestrian accidents and motorcycle accidents. Some examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries resulting in limited mobility or paralysis
- Loss of one or more limbs
- Severe burns
- Injuries that lead to partial or complete blindness or deafness
Because the effects of these injuries are likely to be permanent and will limit your ability to function normally, our attorneys will work tirelessly to hold the at-fault parties responsible and seek maximum compensation from insurers. Our goal is to help you live as comfortably and functionally as you can.
At Van Blois & Associates, we accept a limited number of cases, so that we can devote our full attention and resources to our clients. We operate as a team with all lawyers and paralegals working together on each case. Your case will not be assigned to an inexperienced junior associate. We immediately investigate our accident cases, retain qualified accident experts at the beginning, assist our clients in obtaining appropriate medical treatment and prepare the case for trial. Most accident cases settle and do not have to go to trial. Our law firm has consistently achieved maximum awards because the insurance companies and corporations know we will be completely prepared to go to trial to achieve a large verdict if the case does not settle for a fair and appropriate amount.
Set Up Your Free Initial Consultation Today
It costs nothing to speak to us about your injuries. Call 510-343-9570 to get started. You can also complete our online contact form.